GIP Event: Affordable Housing

On Tuesday night, I attended the GIP Affordable Housing event hosted by our very own Ian MacLeod and Victor Swezey. I was very interested in everything the panelists had to say and I learned a lot.

The first thing I appreciated about the event was that Victor and Ian gave a background of the issue so that all of the attendees had a context in which to place the expert information given by the panelists themselves. After hearing Victor and Ian's grant proposal and going to the Hive Be Good event, I had learned most of what they talked about, but I think it really benefitted the students there who didn't know anything about the issue of affordable housing.

The panelists themselves included an architect, the director of affordable housing in Pasadena, a lawyer who works with evicted families, and a tenant's rights advocate. I think the most impactful part for me was learning about the unjust ways in which tenants, specifically low income or immigrant families, are treated. I previously saw the issue more as a phenomenon where the free market is driving people out of housing altogether than people being discriminated against.

Another very important lesson I learned at the event was that the lack of affordable housing is a symptom of greater issues. In order to address it in a lasting way, we have to address the root causes of inequality and the failure of our social safety nets.

Thank you to everyone who helped put this event together!

Comments